- Ask us a question by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org, by IM using screen name AlumniLibRef, or by phone at (434) 924-3021.
- Check out books. Stop by one of our libraries and use your student/alumni ID number. If you don’t know this number, library personnel can help you look it up.
- Wireless access is available for your computer in our libraries for research, checking email, etc. Details for usage.
Frequently Asked Questions about Research Tools for Alumni
Q: Does U.Va. provide access to online resources for my research?
YES! The Engagement Office has worked with the Library to provide online resources from EBSCO to alumni. You have access to EBSCO's Academic Search, Business Search, Business Books Summaries, CINAHL, and Health Library online databases. These five databases provide access to a wide array of current, full text articles from newspapers, journals, documents, and magazines. The Engagement Office pays for access to these databases for all U.Va. alumni and the Library provides support for their use.
Q: What kinds of articles will appear in a results list when searching EBSCO resources?
Your EBSCO search will result in full text articles! If you would like more results that may include citations and abstracts, simply uncheck the “Full Text” box when your search results are displayed.
Q: Can U.Va. graduates use the same online resources that they had as students?
U.Va. students have access to several hundred online resources paid for by the Library. Many students have favorites that provide valuable content. The Library licenses these resources for current University faculty, staff, students, and walk-in users. This means that alumni can access all the Library's online databases if they visit one of the libraries at U.Va.
Q: How do I access these resources?
You must first login to HoosOnline to access EBSCO's research databases. These five libraries are free of charge to alumni.
|Next, click on the "Research Library" button at the top of the page. This will take you to the "Research Library" page where you can click on one of the five online library choices to start your research. Searching help is available from EBSCO as a link at the top right-hand side of the page.|
Q: Those resources don't directly address the topic I want to research. What should I do?
Take a look at what these online resources offer. They cover a wide array of interdisciplinary subjects areas, including psychology, history, engineering, and others. Although the specialty online resources are business and medical, both include articles in related topics and the Academic Search Library is specifically interdisciplinary.
Q: How can get help either for using the online alumni resources or for my research in general?
Please contact the Library for any research needs you have or if you need any assistance using the online resources available to alumni. Here's how:
- E-mail us at email@example.com
- IM using screen name AlumniLibRef
- Call us at at (434) 924-3021
- Stop by in person when you are visiting
- Send a text message to 434-260-1882 for quick answers to simple questions.