What is RefWorks?
RefWorks is a software application that enables you to...
- Download citations from databases and put them into a personal RefWorks research database
- Format bibliographies and citations automatically in over 400 styles including APA, MLA, etc.
- Use in conjunction with WORD to write papers, dissertations, etc.
- Access your RefWorks account from any computer, anywhere
- Create a database and share it with colleagues around the world
Downloading citations from databases
step-by-step set of instructions created by librarians at U. of Arizona.
Have you forgotten your RefWorks password?
Go to the RefWorks Login page and click on the link, "Forgot Your Log-In" and RefWorks will send you your password to your e-mail account. This service is available on weekends, too!
Write firstname.lastname@example.org and you will be given a new password Monday-Friday
Want to change your account information?
Log in to RefWorks and FROM the menu bar, select TOOLS and then, select UPDATE USER INFORMATION. You can change your password as well as other information you provided.
Your RefWorks account will continue after you graduate, however, if it is not used within 3 years, the account will be deleted. If you have attached the full text for articles to the RefWorks record for a given citation, they will remain, however you will no longer see the Find@UVa button in RefWorks as access to this has to be restricted to current students, faculty, and staff due to contractual obligations. If you come to the UVa Library, you can access the full text or print version of the article if it is available. If you are affiliated with another university or organization, you will be able to use their Find@ button to access the full text they provide. If you area an alumni and you have never created a RefWorks account, you may open one, now. You will need a group code to login to RefWorks. Ask us for the. U.Va Group Code for alumni so you can login. Click here for more information about RefWorks for Alumni.
Does Your Research Group Want to Share a RefWorks Folder?
How does one login from off-Grounds?
Use the Group Code to login to the RefWorks page (ask us for the U.Va.Group Code for faculty and students).
At first this method only allows you to access your citations and to any articles you have attached to a RefWorks citation full text. However, when you open a browser and click on a database link, you will be allowed access through NetBadge to the databases and to the full text of the journal articles if UVa has purchased access.
A comparison of RefWorks, Mendeley, EndNote, and Zotero software:Which software is best for you?
- If you are plannng on using Write-N-Cite 4 when writing your papers, these resources will be useful.
- This Lib Guide is from the RefWorks people. While it covers more than just using WNC 4, the sections on WNC 4 are very helpful. The images used for the WNC 4 sections are from PC computers. Mac users should use the Waterloo University Lib Guide to view what WNC 4 looks like in a Mac interface.
- The RefWorks Lib Guide from Waterloo University has a section on installing and using WNC 4 in a Mac. It also has an extensive troubleshooting section that is useful for Mac and PC users.