Why Use RefWorks?
- Download citations from databases and put them into a personal RefWorks research database
- Format bibliographies and citations automatically
- Access your RefWorks account from any computer, anywhere
- Create a database and share it with colleagues around the world
- Help? Free Online RefWorks Tutorials
RefWorks Alumni Program Features
- One free RefWorks account
- New updates and feature releases automatically added
- 200 MB of file attachment storage
- The ability to share your folder or account via RefShare
- Free web-based training
- Technical Support - email@example.com
The Fine Print
Important: It is very important that you keep your email address information up-to-date in your RefWorks account as this will be how RefWorks will notify you of important information. You can update your email address via the Update Profile link located at the right top of the page when logged into your account.
Alumni can keep their RefWorks accounts as long as UVa subscribes to RefWorks, but accounts showing no use during a year's time are terminated.
In the RefWorks Alumni Account the Find@UVa button does not display. Our contract with the full text journal providers stipulates that the Library can only provide full text access to current UVa students and faculty. Alumni may be able to procure full text articles through other options including: visiting university, public or school libraries that subscribe to the journal in print or online, purchasing copies from online suppliers and publishers, or seeing if the article was included in one of the free full text databases underwritten by the University of Virginia Alumni, Parents & Friends Lifetime Learning program.
Alumni can also move citations in RefWorks into other citation mangers such as EndNote, Mendeley, and Zotero.
Welcome to the RefWorks Alumni Program
Your alumni status at the University of Virginia provides you with free access to Refworks for as long as UVa maintains its institutional subscription to RefWorks. Even if you currently have a student RefWorks account, you will need to create an alumni account. Please follow the instructions below
Creating Your RefWorks Alumni Account:
1. Navigate to http://www.refworks.com/refworks
2. Click on the Sign Up for a New Account link.
3. In first panel, Step 1: Account Information, click on the Not my institution link to access the box used to enter your Alumni Group Code.
4. Click on the Find Institution button and then enter the Alumni Program Group Code. (Ask us for the Group Code)
5. Complete the required information on the first panel then click Next.
6. On the Step 2: User Information panel, complete all fields, making sure to select Other in the Area of Focus drop-down menu and University of Virginia from the Type of User drop-down menu.
7. Click the Create Account button when finished. You will be brought into your new, empty RefWorks account.
If you have references in a current RefWorks account that you would like to move into your new Alumni account, you can either export your folders from your student account to your new Alumni account or use the Backup/Restore feature to make a copy of your database (including RefID numbers and folders), and your custom output styles. To use the Backup/Restore feature, follow the steps below.
To Move Your Current RefWorks Account References to Your New Alumni RefWorks Account:
1. Log in to your current RefWorks account.
2. From the Tools menu select Backup/Restore.
3. By default, Include References is selected. If you do not want to include your references, deselect this option.
4. By default, Include RSS Feeds is selected. If you do not want to include your RSS Feeds, deselect this option.
5. By default, all custom Output Styles are selected to backup. You can deselect any or all custom output styles.
6. Click on Perform Backup.
7. Save the file when prompted. If you are not prompted to save the file, click the link that says Click here to save your backup file to download the backup to your computer.
8. The default file name is a combination of your organization’s Group Code and your login name. It will be saved as a .zip or .rwb file. Please do not change the extension of the file as it is necessary to restore your account's records.
Folders that do not contain any references will not be saved. If you have empty folders that you wish to retain add a reference to the folder before backing up.
Restoring your backed up files to your new Alumni account
- Log in to your new RefWorks Alumni account.
- From the Tools menu select Backup/Restore.
- Select the Restore option.
- Browse to and select the appropriate back up file created in the steps above.
- Select Include References, Include Output Styles and/or Include RSS Feeds as desired.
- Click on Perform Restore.
NOTE - Restoring will overwrite all of the references in an account. Any time you need to restore the references from a backed up account for any reason, be sure to do so in either an empty account or to an account that does not have any data you want to save.
Chat is not available at this time. Please email the Curry librarians.
Library Data Commons @Curry
Ruffner Hall, room 302