For the classs - Anth 2430 : Languages of the World. Faculty - Lise Dobrin
Schedule for the 2014 library session, Wed 10-10:50 am.
II. 20-25 minutes: Philip McEldowney. A. Books - Library and its catalog VIRGO and WorldCat or First Search. B. Articles - Databases: Academic Search Complete. C. InterLibrary Loan with sign in. D. RefWorks for citations, bibliographies, and footnotes. 10:25 - 10:45 AM
IIIa. In your Section sessions this week. Alderman stacks, look at books. First area PH-PM call numbers on Floor 1 Old. see Alderman 1. Call number locations. 2. the Library of Congress classification system for Languages During or after your Sections
IIIb. In your Section sessions this week. Alderman stacks, look at books. Second area P-PG Call numbers Floor 2M New. Linguistics, grammar. During or after your Sections
Searching methods and hints = 1. search 2. refine, look around, choose other words, more terms or less terms. 3. search again (and again. . .) 4. save, print. 5. Click on the database Help - read and study it for 5 minutes. Or /and ask a librarian (chat, online, phone)
Here's a revision of the 2012 Old Schedule. Refer to this for greater details of databases, resources, coverage.
1. Review the main UVa library web page - how to get help through library contacts, VIRGO, find Databases, do Interlibrary requests, and connect off-grounds
2. Go to VIRGO and search for some items, also use Advanced search briefly
3. Go to Databases - look at
4. Look at RefWorks and explain it
5. Go to Alderman Library stacks to look at books. See Call Number Locations
6. Suggested keywords to search:
8. Some suggested endangered titles: "Atlas of the World's Languages in danger of Disappearing" edited by Stephen A. Wurm (1996); "Language Death" by David Crystal (2000), and the 65 minute DVD "The Linguists" (2008)
9. Some call numbers: P40.5 for endangered languages; Sanskrit PK600s and PK400s; Twi PL8751; PL3600s; PM782 and PM108; Hindi PK1930s; Gondi PL4630s.
Back to the top