For the classs - Anth 2430 : Languages of the World. Faculty - Lise Dobrin
Schedule for the 2013 library session, Wed 11-11:50 am.
II. 15 minutes: Philip McEldowney. A. Books - Library and its catalog VIRGO and WorldCat. B. Articles - Databases: Academic Search Complete. C. InterLibrary Loan with sign in. D. RefWorks for citations, bibliographies, and footnotes. 11:10 - 11:25 AM
IIIa. 7 minutes: Alderman stacks, look at books. First area PH-PM call numbers on Floor 1 Old. see Alderman 1. Call number locations. 2. Call Number Locations, and the Library of Congress classification system for Languages 11:25-11:30 AM walk over to Alderman in two groups. First area 11:30 - 11:37 AM
Searching hints = 1. search 2. refine, look around, choose other words, more terms or less terms. 3. search again (and again. . .) 4. save, print. 5. Click on the database Help - read and study it for 5 minutes. Or /and ask a librarian (chat, online, phone)
15 languages on a 5 Rupee note
Here's the Old Scheduleof 2012. Refer to this for greater details of databases, resources, coverage.
1. Review the main UVa library web page - how to get help through library contacts, VIRGO, find Databases, do Interlibrary requests, and connect off-grounds
2. Go to VIRGO and search for some items, also use Advanced search briefly
3. Go to Databases - look at
4. Look at RefWorks and explain it
5. Go to Alderman Library stacks to look at books. See Call Number Locations
6. Suggested keywords to search:
8. Some suggested endangered titles: "Atlas of the World's Languages in danger of Disappearing" edited by Stephen A. Wurm (1996); "Language Death" by David Crystal (2000), and the 65 minute DVD "The Linguists" (2008)
9. Some call numbers: P40.5 for endangered languages; Sanskrit PK600s and PK400s; Twi PL8751; PL3600s; PM782 and PM108; Hindi PK1930s; Gondi PL4630s.
Back to the top