LibKey Nomad is a browser extension that instantly identifies links to articles for full text access (either through your library's holdings or through Open Access sources), and if it can't find a version of the article that is available to you through your library, it will fill out an ILL request for you through your library. It means you can browse the publisher websites directly rather than searching the library website for an article.
Using LibKey Nomad is a bit like taking a librarian with you as you surf the web: it will identify access to articles you browse, and take you to the full text if we have access. If we don't have access, it will fill out an ILL request for you, which you just have to click to submit.
It works in all of the major browsers except Safari, including: Firefox, Chrome, Edge, Brave, and Vivaldi.
You do not need to be on Grounds, or connected via the VPN to use it, and you don't have to create an account; you'll be prompted to authenticate via Netbadge when needed.
To use LibKey Nomad:
- Download and install the LibKey Nomad browser extension from either the Chrome or Firefox store.
- You will see a pop up stating that Libkey Nomad can "read and change all your data on the websites you visit." This is allows LibkKey Nomad to detect article details on pages you visit, so it can locate them for you in our library holdings, and it also allows it to add download buttons to the webpage. No data about you or your searches is saved!
- Select University of Virginia as your organization when prompted to do so, and then close the pop-up window.
- You'll see the LibKey Nomad icon on your toolbar:
- LibkKey Nomad is now working. Just browse the literature as you would normally, visiting articles through Google Scholar, Web of Science, PubMed or other library databases, or by visiting the journal website directly. Open access repositories and Unpaywall are also checked, if the article isn't in a UVA-subscribed journal.
- When you view an article page you will see one of the following:
- "Download PDF" will appear if the UVA Library has the article available. Click on the image to access the PDF:
- "Access Options..." will show if LibKey Nomad can't fine a way to access the article for free from UVA subscribed databases. Clicking on this will take you to a pre-filled ILL request form, and you will need to log in to the ILL system via Netbadge: