Adding a New Dataset
If you are not logged in, you will be prompted to log in before adding a new dataset.
- Navigate to the home page for LibraData http://dataverse.lib.virginia.edu
- From the UVA Dataverse repository home page, in the box “Add your dataset to LibraData”, select the collection in which you want to add a dataset. You can create a dataset at the top level (LibraData) or in a sub-collection (e.g. School of Education & Human Development, Department of Biology, etc.). Currently available sub-collections are listed in the drop down menu, choose a specific one or select “LibraData - Main”.
- Click on the “Add Data” button.
- To quickly get started, enter at minimum all the required fields with an asterisk (e.g., the Dataset Title, Author, Dataset Description, Contact Email, Subject, and Data Creation Date).
- Scroll down to the “Files” section and click on “Select Files to Add” to add all the relevant files to your dataset. Tip: You can drag and drop or select multiple files at a time from your desktop, directly into the upload widget. Your files will appear below the “Select Files to Add” button where you can add a description and tags (via the “Edit Tag” button) for each file. Additionally, an MD5 checksum will be added for each file. If you upload a tabular file a Universal Numerical Fingerprint (UNF) will be added to this file.
- Click the “Save Dataset” button when you are done. Your unpublished dataset is now created.
- If you need to add additional metadata, to upload additional files, before you publish your dataset, click the corresponding tabs on the left.
Note: You can add additional metadata once you have completed the initial dataset creation by clicking Edit Dataset and selecting Metadata.
Supported HTML Fields in Metadata
We currently only support the following HTML tags for any of our textbox meatdata fields (i.e., Description) : <a>, <b>, <blockquote>, <br>, <code>, <del>, <dd>, <dl>, <dt>, <em>, <hr>, <h1>-<h3>, <i>, <img>, <kbd>, <li>, <ol>, <p>, <pre>, <s>, <sup>, <sub>, <strong>, <strike>, <u>, <ul>.